All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. ~Walt Disney

Thursday, March 27, 2008

"What Would You Do.......


I have been watching the series on ABC Primetime "What would you do?" little did I know that I would be faced with this situation this afternoon. While driving to get my son from school I turned the corner to see a group of boys harassing another group of boys. As I got closer I could hear them yelling and then my heart feel into my stomach, one of the boys was holding something that was shining in the sunlight, a large kitchen knife! I panicked pulled over and franticly looked for my cell phone to call the police. I didn't have my phone, I had left it on the kitchen counter. I didn't know what I was going to do but I guess my "mommy instincts" kicked in. I was frightened at what would happen but had to do something, I rolled down my window and stared yelling at the boys, I lied telling them that I had called the police and started honking my horn as tears ran down my face (more of anger than of sadness). A man in a truck soon passed and asked me what was going on and I told him to call the police that one of the boys had a kitchen knife. The man quickly jumped out of his truck and called the police. Most of the boys ran and the boy with the knife took off down the cross street. Within a minute the police were there. I was shaking and was wondering in the back of my head what would have happened if I didn't come around the corner when I did. I explained to one of the officers what had happened and tried to calm down. He told me I could go but asked if they could contact me later if they needed to. As I drove to get Jackson I remembered the series that I watched last week called "what would you do?" and quickly reflected on my actions to the frighting situation. For me there was absolutely no question to whether I would get involved, children (14-15 year old boys) were involved and being a mother I saw no alternative. In the ABC Primetime series, passer byers were confronted with a similar situation of a group of teens harassing and abusing a homeless man and I was shocked that so many people passed by doing and saying nothing. I can't imagine if my son's had to face something like this and if someone would have stepped in to help before something terrible happened. I guess we all need to reflect on what we would do in a situation were we saw something frighting, abusive or dangerous. If you want to watch the entire series I have put the link below.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Primetime/WhatWouldYouDo

3 comments:

Heather said...

That is so scary. I am sooo thankful that you stopped. Wow I am sure the mother of the boy they were harassing was[is] glad too.

becausethesunrises said...

Wow! Chilling! Those kids looking at the point are soooo lucky it was YOU who passed! I am so grateful for your continued safety. I am sick thinking about it.

What have you heard since then?

becausethesunrises said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!!